Concealed Pistol Licenses

* Late fees will be waived for CPLs which expire during South Sound 911’s closure. *

Any Pierce County resident or non-Washington resident may apply for a CPL — sometimes referred to as a concealed carry or concealed weapons permit — at South Sound 911’s public counter (945 Tacoma Ave. S, Tacoma). Non-Washington residents may apply to any agency that is convenient1.

Depending upon the city of residence, there may be alternative locations to submit a CPL application; however, residents of unincorporated Pierce County and the cities of Edgewood, Lakewood, Roy, Tacoma, and University Place may only apply at South Sound 9111. Residents who live within the city limits of Bonney Lake, EatonvilleGig Harbor, Orting, Puyallup, or Sumner may be able to apply at their respective local police departments. Hours and days in which residents can apply may be limited, so please verify procedures in advance.

Need a dealers license instead? Visit our Firearms Dealer Licenses page.

1 The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department, Edgewood Police, Lakewood Police, Roy Police, Tacoma Police and University Place Police Departments DO NOT issue CPLs. Residents served by those agencies must apply at South Sound 911.

Applying for a CPL

If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria listed on the Concealed Pistol License Application, you may apply at our public counter during normal business hours. You must apply in person.

  • All applicants must complete a Concealed Pistol License Application form (forms are also available in our lobby)
  • All new/original Applicants (and those with licenses expired more than 90 days) must be fingerprinted as part of the application process. Please note that fingerprinting services end one (1) hour before closing; applicants for new/original CPLs must visit during the fingerprinting hours. 
  • Applicants must show a valid, government-issued photo I.D.; a school or work I.D. is not acceptable. If you are renewing a CPL, it is helpful for you to bring your old license with you, but it is not required.
  • Applicants must provide payment for the appropriate fee(s).

* We do NOT recommend utilizing a third-party service (e.g., for the “prepayment” or completion of your application form. They charge an unnecessary fee for instructions and an application; they are NOT affiliated with the Department of Licensing, South Sound 911 or any police department, nor are they involved with the processing of your CPL application.*


  • Original License – $49.25
  • Renewal License – $32
  • Late Renewal License – $42
  • Replacement License – $10
  • Alien Firearm License – $83.25
  • Lamination (optional) – $3

Payment by cash, credit/debit card, or personal check is accepted. * The listed fees include the $13.25 FBI fingerprint-based background check when applicable.

Renewing a CPL

You may apply to renew a license up to 90 days prior to its expiration date. If your license is between one and 90 days past expiration, you may submit a Late Renewal Application. Any license which is expired by more than 90 days cannot be renewed; an application for an Original License would be required.Military personnel who were unable to renew on time as a result of out-of-state deployment/assignment may qualify for an exemption to the 90-day renewal time limit. Applicants must apply within 90 days of returning to Washington state and provide proof of deployment/assignment dates.

Renew by Mail

You may now renew a CPL — or apply for a replacement CPL — by mail (U.S.P.S. only). Send a completed application, a copy of a your valid I.D., and payment (check or money order only) to: South Sound 911; 945 Tacoma Ave. S.; Tacoma WA 98402.

Receiving Your CPL

If your application is approved, South Sound 911 will mail your CPL to you.

If your application is denied, you will receive a letter informing you of the reason(s) for denial along with information on how to appeal the denial. If you have lost your firearm rights, you may petition the court of record where you reside or where the conviction occurred for the restoration of your rights. Out-of-state convictions are more complex when it comes to restoration of your rights; you may wish to consult an attorney for advice or assistance. South Sound 911 personnel cannot offer legal advice.

Application Status

Information about CPL applications is protected by law. In order for us to provide any information about your application or its status we must have proof of your identity. You may provide a copy (photocopy, scanned image, photograph) of the I.D. you presented at the time you applied as proof of your identity. Email the image of your I.D. to and we will respond with status information as soon as possible. 


Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find more information about Washington state CPLs?

See the Washington State Department of Licensing firearms licensing website or review the state’s RCW 9.41.

Where else is my Washington CPL valid?

Visit the Washington State Attorney General’s website for reciprocal agreements with other states.

What do I do if there’s a mistake on the CPL you sent me?

If there is a typo or other verifiable mistake on a CPL South Sound 911 issues, we will provide a replacement CPL at no cost. You may either visit the public counter during normal business hours or get a replacement mailed to you. 

To have the replacement license mailed to you, please email a copy of both the incorrect CPL and your driver license (or the photo I.D. shown when you applied) to South Sound 911 staff will issue the replacement license and mail it to you with a stamped, self-addressed envelope for you to return the incorrect CPL to South Sound 911.

What do I do if I haven’t received my CPL?

Typically, CPLs take 3-4 weeks to process. The processing time may vary as the background check relies on the responsiveness of other agencies, outside of South Sound 911’s control. Additionally, there may be delays in the mail.

If it has been more than four weeks since your CPL application was submitted, you may contact us for status information. However, CPL application information is protected by law, so we must have proof of your identity before we may release any information. You may provide a copy (photocopy, scanned image, photograph) of the I.D. you presented at the time you applied as such proof. Please email the image of your I.D. to and we will respond with status information as soon as possible. 

My new Washington driver license or I.D. has a different number. Do I need to get a new CPL?

No. Beginning Sept. 4, 2019, Washington state began issuing new or renewed driver licenses with new randomly assigned letters or numbers in order to be compliant with the REAL ID Act. If your current concealed pistol license (CPL) references your old driver license number, you do not need to apply for or obtain a new/updated CPL.

How long does it take to process a CPL?

It takes 3-4 weeks to process an application for an original or CPL renewal.

Can I apply for a CPL online or by mail?

If applying for a new/original CPL you MUST apply in-person.

If you are renewing or replacing a CPL, you may apply by mail. Please see the “Renew by Mail” section on our website.

When is the best time to apply for a CPL?

To ensure your CPL application can be accepted, we recommend applying during the hours of 8:30 a.m. to noon.

Unfortunately, we’ve had situations when our waiting time exceeds our service hours; when this occurs we stop issuing service tickets in our lobby. To avoid any hardship, we recommend you visit the counter earlier in the day.

If you are applying for a new/original CPL, please note that you must apply during fingerprinting service hours; fingerprints are required for all new/original CPL applications and we cannot accept incomplete applications. Fingerprinting service hours end one (1) hour before closing.

I am in the military/a military dependent and my home of record is not Washington. Does this affect where I may apply?

No. “Residency” and “Home of Record” are different. “Residency” is where you physically live, not where you pay taxes, own property, etc.

I moved. How do I update my address on my CPL?

Updating your address is not a requirement; however, if you choose to update your address on your CPL, you may do so by applying for a replacement CPL. Current fees for replacement CPLs and lamination (if requested) are on our Concealed Pistol Licenses page.

I got married/divorced and changed my name. How do I update my name on my CPL?

Updating your name on your CPL is not a requirement; however, if you choose to update your name, you may do so by applying for a replacement CPL. Current fees for replacement CPLs and lamination (if requested) are on our Concealed Pistol Licenses page.

Is my CPL valid in other states?

Visit the Washington State Attorney General’s website for reciprocal agreements with other states.

To find out if any other states honor Washington’s CPL, please check with each state you plan to visit.