South Sound 911 uses an online application system to process concealed pistol license (CPL) applications on behalf of several law enforcement jurisdictions in Pierce County. Applications from residents of other counties will be rejected without refund for any paid convenience and credit card processing fees.

Residents of unincorporated Pierce County and the cities of DuPont, Edgewood, Fife, Fircrest, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Roy, Ruston, Steilacoom, Tacoma, and University Place may only apply at South Sound 911. Residents who live within the following city limits should apply through their respective police departments: Bonney LakeBuckleyEatonvilleGig HarborPuyallup, and Sumner. Out-of-state residents may apply anywhere in the state (per RCW 9.41.070).

Applying for a CPL

If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria, you may submit and pay for an application online (subject to convenience and credit card processing fees). NOTE: Applications are reviewed daily and applications for those living outside of South Sound 911’s service area will be rejected. Convenience and credit card processing fees will NOT be refunded.

All new/original Applicants (and those with licenses expired more than 90 days) must be fingerprinted as part of the application process; this service requires an appointment which can can be scheduled via the online application.

Applicants must show or upload a valid, government-issued photo I.D. and the expired/expiring CPL, if applicable. A school or work I.D. is not acceptable I.D. 

If you encounter problems using the online application system or have questions, please email


  • Original License – $49.25
  • Renewal License – $32
  • Late Renewal License – $42
  • Replacement License – $10
  • Alien Firearm License – $84.25

Online applications will incur a non-refundable $5 convenience fee and a credit card processing fee ($.30 + 3.3% of the total). 

* The listed fees include the $13.25 FBI fingerprint-based background check when applicable. However, applicants choosing to be fingerprinted at Bellevue Fingerprinting (Tacoma office) must pay $42, or $40 at Alliance 2020, in addition to application and convenience fees; these fees are payable to Bellevue Fingerprinting or Alliance 2020 at the time of appointment.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if there’s a mistake on the CPL you sent me?

If there is a typo or other verifiable mistake on a CPL South Sound 911 issues, we will provide a replacement CPL at no cost. You may either visit the public counter during normal business hours or get a replacement mailed to you. 

To have the replacement license mailed to you, please email a copy of both the incorrect CPL and your driver license (or the photo I.D. shown when you applied) to South Sound 911 staff will issue the replacement license and mail it to you with a stamped, self-addressed envelope for you to return the incorrect CPL to South Sound 911.

What do I do if I haven’t received my CPL?

Typically, CPLs take 3-4 weeks to process. The processing time may vary as the background check relies on the responsiveness of other agencies, outside of South Sound 911’s control. Additionally, there may be delays in the mail.

Our online Order Tracker allows applicants with an email address on file to check the status of their application regardless of whether it was submitted online, at the kiosk, or in-person. Applicants will need the order (application) number, email address, and password. (Use the reset password function if you forgot or do not know your password.)

You may also choose to inquire with our staff; however, since information about CPL applications is protected by law, in order for South Sound 911 to provide information about your application or its status via email we must have proof of your identity. You may provide a copy (photocopy, scanned image, photograph) of the I.D. you presented at the time you applied as proof of your identity. Email the image of your I.D. to and we will respond with status information as soon as possible. 

How do I update my name or address on my CPL?

Updating your name or address is not a requirement; however, if you choose to update your CPL by applying for a replacement CPL. Current fees for replacement CPLs are on our Concealed Pistol Licenses page.

I am in the military/a military dependent and my home of record is not Washington. Does this affect where I may apply?

No. “Residency” and “Home of Record” are different. “Residency” is where you physically live, not where you pay taxes, own property, etc.

Is my CPL valid in other states?

Visit the Washington State Attorney General’s website for reciprocal agreements with other states.

To find out if any other states honor Washington’s CPL, please check with each state you plan to visit.