South Sound 911 offers the excitement and pride of a career in public safety, without the physical demand and danger that comes with police or fire/EMS work. And there are a variety of career opportunities available which one might not typically associate with 911, but they are all important to help keep the agency running smoothly. There may be opportunities in operations — such as 911 call taking and dispatch — or positions in technology or administration.
What’s more is that South Sound 911 offers excellent medical, dental and vision benefits, paid vacation and sick leave, participation in the state retirement program, and competitive wages — including the highest 911 and dispatch wages in Washington!
South Sound 911 is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state and local laws.
- Public Safety Testing “911 Dispatch” written exam1 and completed Personal History Statement. Applicants who pass the exam and meet South Sound 911’s hiring standards will be contacted to complete the next step.
- South Sound 911-administered CritiCall pre-employment test. This test evaluates a candidate’s multitasking abilities, memory recall, prioritization, call summarization, typing speed and accuracy, and cross-referencing skills.
- Panel interview with division managers and training personnel.
- Conditional offer, pending successful completion of the remaining hiring steps. (Candidates should not quit their current job or relocate based on this offer.)
- Background investigation, which includes fingerprinting and an in-person observation within the division the candidate is being considered. This process takes approximately 30 days.
- A psychological evaluation conducted by Public Safety Selection, P.C.
- Final interview with deputy directors and Employee Relations & Risk Management.
- Medical examination and drug screen.
- After approval from the executive director, a formal offer of employment is extended!
If you have additional questions about the hiring process, please email Human Resources.