Concealed Pistol Licenses

Any Pierce County resident (or non-Washington resident) may apply for a CPL at South Sound 911’s public counter; however, residents of unincorporated Pierce County and the cities of Edgewood, Lakewood, Roy, Tacoma and University Place must apply at South Sound 911. Non-Washington residents may apply to any agency that is convenient1.

Depending upon the city of residence1, there may be alternative locations to submit a CPL application. For instance, residents within the city limits of Bonney Lake, Eatonville, Fife, Gig Harbor, Orting, Puyallup, or Sumner may be able to apply at their respective police departments. Hours and days in which residents can apply may be limited, so please verify procedures in advance.

For information about applying for a firearms dealer license, click here.
1 The Pierce County Sheriff's Department, Edgewood Police, Lakewood Police, Roy Police, Tacoma Police and University Place Police Departments DO NOT issue CPLs. Residents served by those agencies must apply at South Sound 911.

Applying for a CPL

If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria listed on the Concealed Pistol License Application, you may apply at our public counter during normal business hours. You must apply in person. 

  • All applicants must complete a Concealed Pistol License Application form (forms are also available in our lobby)
  • All new/original Applicants (and those with licenses expired more than 90 days) must be fingerprinted as part of the application process. Please note that fingerprinting is only offered between 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. weekdays and 8:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. Saturdays; applicants for new/original CPLs must visit prior to the cutoff.
  • Applicants must show a valid, government-issued photo I.D.; a school or work I.D. is not acceptable. If you are renewing a CPL, it is helpful for you to bring your old license with you, but it is not required.
  • Applicants must provide payment for the appropriate fee(s). 


Original License - $48
Renewal License - $32
Late Renewal License - $42
Replacement License - $10
Alien Firearm License - $82
Lamination (optional) - $3

Payment by cash, credit/debit card, or personal check accepted 

* We do NOT recommend utilizing a third party service (e.g., for the "prepayment" or completion of your application form. They charge an unnecessary fee for instructions and an application; they are NOT affiliated with the Department of Licensing, South Sound 911 or any police department, nor are they involved with the processing of your CPL application.*
Renewing a CPL
You may apply to renew a license up to 90 days prior to its expiration date. If your license is between one and 90 days past expiration, you may submit a Late Renewal Application. Any license which is expired by more than 90 days cannot be renewed; an application for an Original License would be required.

Military personnel who were unable to renew on time as a result of out-of-state deployment/assignment may qualify for an exemption to the 90-day renewal time limit. Applicants must apply within 90 days of returning to Washington state and provide proof of deployment/assignment dates.
Receiving your CPL
If your application is approved, South Sound 911 will mail your CPL to you. If your application is denied, you will receive a letter informing you of the reason(s) for denial along with information on how to appeal the denial. If you have lost your firearm rights, you may petition the court of record where you reside or where the conviction occurred for the restoration of your rights. Out-of-state convictions are more complex when it comes to restoration of your rights; you may wish to consult an attorney for advice or assistance. South Sound 911 personnel cannot offer legal advice.

Additional Information

For further information, see the Washington State Department of Licensing firearms licensing website or review RCW 9.41.

Visit the Washington State Attorney General's website for reciprocal agreements with other states.